Sunday, July 29, 2007

Inspiration Station!

It seemed we had run into some bad luck as far as panels went. They usually ended up being boring as hell or just a plain waste of time. But yesterday was an exception.

Vince and I attended Paul Pope's spotlight panel and it was thoroughly enjoyable and very inspiring. This man is an artist through and through. But instead of being pretentious and snooty, he is passionate and sincere. I have great respect for this man and Vince and I both find Mr. Pope as the subject of a torrid hetero-man crush. What really gets me is that this uber-talented artist could be working in any field he chooses (and sometimes does.) But the medium he loves, first and foremost, is comics. We're lucky to have him.

We checked out a panel on Alex Toth as well. It had clips from his new bio documentary called SIMPLICITY. Alex Toth was an amazing artist and an interesting man. I definitely plan on picking up this film.

Got some San Diego Sushi yesterday. It was pretty damn good! The eel especially was warm and flavorful. I also had the pleasure of watching a rainbow haired fanboy devour 2 live shrimp...it was....well...those poor things.

Sarah Silverman had a panel at the con and my stomach still hurts. She's the cutest, hottest, most vulgar and hilarious lady comedienne alive. I want to bear her children.

Afterwards, we heard some stories from a modern master, Mr. Warren Ellis. It was surreal to see this guy in person. Even more surreal to see the room half empty. He's a funny bastard and a very talented man.

Q: Alan Moore once told me that the only question worth asking a great writer is "Where do you get your ideas?"

A: Alan Moore also once said "I worship a snake." So take your pick, mate.

Funny bastard.

And just when I thought there couldn't be any more highlights to the day, we had the pleasure of attending the Too Much Coffee Man opera. It was my first opera experience, and probably the only one that will ever make me laugh so hard. Wonderfully done. And for those of you who don't know, local legend Damian Willcox co-wrote this opera with creator Shannon Wheeler. Well done, Damian.

Well, today I'm hoping to get a sketch or autograph from Ben Templesmith. If not, I'm sure I'll get over it. We'll be going to the nudie bar tonight. There are two of them right next door. San Diego is pretty.

-NICK

No comments: